For land that has drunk the rain that often falls on it, and produces a crop useful to those for whose sake it is cultivated, receives a blessing from God. But if it bears thorns and thistles, it is worthless and near to being cursed, and its end is to be burned.
God’s people are blessed to be blessings.
We see this throughout Scripture.
- God blessed Abraham so every nation would be blessed through him (Genesis 22:18).
- He’s prepared good works for us to walk in, bless others, and show Jesus (Ephesians 2:10).
- He calls his people to be a light of hope and salvation to all nations (Isaiah 49:6).
- And today’s verses show that He creates such a rich life in us that we overflow with blessings to others.
Fundamentally, Christians are reproducers of Jesus's life. Click To Tweet
Because Jesus himself is the way, the truth, and the life—our mandate for spiritual growth and maturity is of eternal importance.We multiply grace even as we consume it. Click To Tweet
But notice in verse 8: it doesn’t go well for the folks who consume but never bloom.
They’re the ones who produce thorns and thistles, patches of prickly dirt that only suck the life out of what’s around them. They don’t produce any fruit beneficial for others. They are “me-centric” brambles that need to be transformed or torn out.
Growth, transformation, and multiplication of our capacity to give life to others is key to the flourishing of the nations and our God-honoring personal fulfillment. These passages form the theological foundation for discovering our purpose, pursuing growth, and then producing fruit like mad.
Even better, those loony, far-fetched visions to change the world we’re almost ashamed to speak out loud are waiting for two things.
- For us to take faithful action and sprint toward the finish line God has set before us (Hebrews 12:1–2).
- For Jesus to pick up our meager offering of five loaves and two fish and multiply it so it can feed the multitudes.
In what areas is God leading you to grow and mature in so that you can bear fruit to nourish those in your life?