“Look at me…” I prayed out loud.
Alone in my office, I felt terrible. My spiritual life had withered. Honestly, my soul felt like I’d been drinking sand instead of that living water Jesus talked about in John 4.
But as fast as those words floated up to heaven, God responded: “No, look at me.”
Tears immediately brimmed my eyes. I smiled. And I understood what he meant.
The Holy Spirit brought today’s devotional verse to mind and helped me remember something powerful.
Whenever we've lost our way, we don't find the path back home in the mirror; we find it in Jesus. Click To Tweet
It’s like the writer of Hebrews said:
looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:2 ESV
If we’re heaven-bound, we must look to heaven.
If we’re supposed to look like Jesus (Romans 8:29), we should actually look to him.
Where are you right now?
- Are you dry and spiritually withered, like I was?
- Are you at the end of your rope in your marriage?
- Are you struggling to make financial ends meet?
- Are you overwhelmed with anxiety?
- Are you lost, and not sure what God has for you?
- Are you struggling with doubt, feeling like maybe God isn’t who he says he is?
- Are you hurt, nursing wounds from people who are supposed to act like disciples of Jesus?
…look to Jesus.
Everything we believe as Christians rests on him. It’s founded on his death and resurrection. The promises of Scripture are secured by his power.
He can exchange joy for sorrow, gladness for mourning, and hope for despair.
Don’t look in the mirror… or to your pastor… or your small group leader… or your parents… or anyone else for your ultimate hope…
Look to Jesus!
Where do you need to look to Jesus, today?